North Sydney Oval is located in the south-west corner of St Leonards Park at the intersection of Miller and Ridge Streets.
It’s first use was for cricket when the first pitch was laid on 6 December 1867, making it one of the oldest cricket grounds in Australia.
The first structure built in 1879 was a simple pavilion overlooking the cricket ground. This was replaced by another pavilion which in turn was replaced by the Duncan Thompson Stand in 1929 (named after the Rugby League Australian Rep and 1921-22 premiership winning captain of the North Sydney). At the time it was the largest suburban grandstand in the State.
The Oval had its first major renovation in 1931, with Alderman Blue claiming that the pitch was ‘like concrete’ and serious injury, even death could occur if something wasn’t done!
The ground still bore the ‘concrete’ tag until the late 1980s when drainage and irrigation systems were installed, and the pitch was re-laid. In 2016 the issues were finally resolved by making the cricket pitch removable so that it could be relocated to the western sidelines completely away from the rugby league field. The pitch will then be relocated back to the middle for the 2017 cricket season.