Match Report – Bears SG Ball Second Win at Home

Front row forward Leonard Vai who scored the Bears final try in the SG Ball Cup's 36-6 win. Photo Steve Little.

The North Sydney SG Ball Cup side have won their second match at home completing a dominant win 36-6 over fellow foundation club Wests Magpies.

From the kick off to Wests, the Bears were able to gain possession via an extraordinary catch from Zac Stracey to secure the ball, as the team progressed into the opponents half. Within a minute the Bears were awarded a penalty which Samuel Stratis converting for an early 2-0 lead.

Continued and effective pressure rewarded the Bears with a try to Trent Kurnoth in the 10th minute.

As the Bears dominated in possession, they put on 18 points to lead 18-6 at the break including a barge over by captain Darcy Hardman under the posts.

Despite a few errors that crept into the Bears game the team’s ability to make every moment count, kept the Magpies at bay till midway through the second half.

The young Bears were jubilant as the siren rang for a 36-6 win and the Bears victory song could be heard loud and clear over TG Milner Field.

NORTH SYDNEY BEARS 36 (tries: Trent Kurnoth, Darcy Hardman, Michael Brown, Zac Stracey, Lennox Whittaker, Leonard Vai, conversions: Samuel Stratis 5, penalty: Samuel Stratis),
defeated WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES 6 (try: Harrison Meredith, conversion: Cameron Oitmann).
Tuesday team | match day team

The Bears Intrust Super Premiership team has suffered it’s second straight loss this time to the Penrith Panthers at Panthers Stadium.

With Robbie Farah, Jason Clark, Hymel Hunt and Kyle Turner additions to a side that included Braidon Burns on the wing the Bears lead early with a try to Thomas Freebairn.

Both hookers scored tries, in the first half, Wayde Egan for the Panthers, and Robbie Farah for the Bears.

With a penalty kick to Mawene Hiroti in the closing stages of the half, the Bears were 20-12 up at the break.

However, a growing penalty count in the second half against the Bears allowed the Panthers to mount an 18 point comeback, with the home side running out winners 30-24.

PENRITH PANTHERS 30 (tries: Thomas Eisenhuth 2, Wayde Egan 2, Christian Crichton, conversions: Chad O’Donnell 4, penalty: Chad O’Donnell),
defeated NORTH SYDNEY BEARS 24 (tries: Thomas Freebairn, Braidon Burns, Robbie Farah, Amanaki Veamatahau, conversions: Mawene Hiroti 3, penalty: Mawene Hiroti).
Tuesday team | match day team

In the Jersey Flegg Cup played at Panthers Stadium, The Bears started and remained on the back foot.

The first try was not until the 12-minute mark the first of 3 from Panthers winger Justin Jones.

The Bears hit back with a try to Kurtis Preece.

However, it was not until the 74th and 78th minutes that the Bears scored again while Penrith amassed 26 points to win 28-18.

PENRITH PANTHERS 28 (tries: Justin Jones 3, Isaac Thompson, Meni Luke, Daine Laurie, conversions: Isaac Thompson 2),
defeated NORTH SYDNEY BEARS 18 (tries: Kurtis Preece, Tarquinn Butler, Arisento Bou-Sleiman, conversions: Dean Hawkins 3).
Tuesday team | match day team

The Harold Matthews Cup match began in typical fashion with the Bears concentrating on defending up the middle.

However crucial errors began to creep into the young Bears moments of possession as the defence out wide became overwhelming.

The Magpies won 42-10.

WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES 42 (tries: Bryce Crane, Henry Alesi, Alosomu Lolohea, Cameron Lawrence 3, Brendan Hodge, Che Te Rangi, conversions: Cameron Lawrence 3, Justin Matamua 2),
defeated NORTH SYDNEY BEARS 10 (tries: Finau Tava, Brian Abdennour, conversion: Aiden Brophy).
Tuesday team | match day team